Fitness enthusiasts often scorn at sugar. Whether sugar is entirely bad for you or not is certainly a topic of much debate. However, refined sugar, because of its lack of nutrients and the high concentration of calories is something that you can afford to avoid.
The impact of sugar on the body is mostly negative. It can influence the working of every organ in your body. In fact, sugar addiction is a very important subject for research these days with more and more people turning to foods that are high in sugar.
In 2016, a research unearthed a sugar industry scandal that involved reputed Universities participating in faulty researches. These research papers released in the 1960s were directed towards getting the heat off the health effects of sugar. Instead, they aimed to turn people’s minds towards fats and their ill effects on health.
These researches were aimed at convincing people that the only cause for heart disease is fat intake. However, in 2014 it was revealed that too much sugar consumption can also increase the risk of death related to cardiovascular diseases. In fact, those who get about 21% of their daily calorie intake from sugar are at about 38% risk of suffering from heart disease.
Excessive consumption of sugar can lead to several other health issues such as fatty liver disease, leaky gut and several other conditions that are related to metabolism. Your body becomes more prone to diabetes with an increased consumption of sugar. Research also shows that sugar can put you at the risk of developing certain types of cancers. So, it is best that you avoid sugar in your diet as far as possible.
If you have a sweet tooth and simply need to add sugar to certain foods, then there are several substitutes that you can include in your diet in order to lead a healthier life.
The Five Best Substitutes for Sugar are :
Raw Honey :
- This is probably the best natural sweetener available. That said, you need to make sure that you only bring home raw honey. Buying it from local producers or buying organic honey is the best way to make sure that it is pure.
- Research reveals that honey is not just a source of sugar. It is food by itself. In addition to sugar, you have amino acids, certain electrolytes and loads of antioxidants in honey. It is also rich in antimicrobial compounds that improve the health of your body overall.
- The recommended amount of honey to be consumed each day is about two to three tablespoons. You can add honey to your breakfast to make a scrumptious meal. In addition to that, honey goes well with salads, smoothies, tea, and just about anything that needs sweetening. It can also be used to make several baked goodies that are not just tasty but good for health, too. You can easily Buy Raw Honey Online and use it at your convenience.
- Another sweetener that you can consider consuming on a daily basis is stevia. This is especially recommended when you suffer from issues related to blood sugar. For those who are overweight or have diabetes, using stevia can improve your health considerably.
- A study published in the Journal of Dietary supplements revealed that using stevia improved insulin reaction and overall health in diabetic rats. The results were seen in just 30 days of consumption of stevia.
- The good thing about stevia is that it contains no calories whatsoever. It is all-natural and is derived from the leaf of a certain flowering plant.
- You can find different Varieties of Stevia Online and in stores. The best variety however, is the green leaf stevia. There are also several brands that claim to be selling stevia. However, it is recommended that you stay clear of these brands as they sell stevia that is highly refined. They may also contain added chemicals.
- You can also get different flavors of stevia such as chocolate and raspberry.
- You can add a few drops of stevia to your tea in the morning. It also goes well with different kinds of smoothies. No matter what sweet dish you are cooking or baking, you will not be able to tell much difference in taste when you add stevia instead of sugar. It also goes perfectly well with your morning cereal.
- There are several fruits such as apricots, raisins or pineapple that are recommended as good substitutes for sugar. However, the best of them all are dates. In addition to their great taste, dates are also loaded with fiber and potassium. They also supply the body with a good dose of minerals and vitamins. Of all the substitutes that you can use for sugar, dates have the best nutritional value.
- The thing with dates is that they are not just sugar. They are a type of food that contains sugar. They also act as wonderful antioxidants when consumed on a regular basis. When you consume dates, the absorption of sugar in your body also slows down. That way, the level of sugar in your body also stays regulated.
- Dates are ideal for baking. They can be used to make several smoothies and milkshakes as well. When added to cereal, they enhance the taste immensely. In fact, they taste better than regular sugar.
- One important function performed by dates is flushing out of toxins from the body. This helps to keep the electrolytes in the body balanced. As a result, dates are highly recommended for athletes and for people who have a physically demanding daily routine. They are known to provide you with an instant boost of energy and are perfect to consume just before you work out. They also help keep cholesterol in check and will relieve you of constipation if you suffer from this condition quite often.
Coconut Sugar :
- This is a perfect sugar substitute as it is completely unrefined and non-GMO. Coconut sugar is a great replacement for sugar, especially for bakers. Imagine that you are trying out a recipe, which requires you to use one cup of sugar. Then replacing this sugar with one cup of coconut palm sugar will have the same results.
- Most of the coconut sugar is derived from coconut juice. This contains high concentrations of electrolytes, potassium and other nutrients. The body is also able to digest coconut sugar a lot better than regular sugar.
- The glycemic index of coconut sugar is almost half that of regular sugar. This means that it is more beneficial to health, reduces the risk of diabetes and improves your body condition overall.
- You can use coconut sugar to bake pies, cookies or can even use it as a replacement for sugar in smoothies and other health drinks.
Maple Syrup :
- One of the most recommended natural sugars is maple syrup. You need to make sure, however, that you only bring home 100 percent pure organic syrup. A Grade C or Grade B maple syrup that is USDA certified for being organic is the best option available.
- Maple syrup is a wonderful sweetener. That is why it is used on pancakes and is also used in several traditional recipes for cooking and baking.
- Besides being a healthy substitute for sugar, maple syrup also has several other health benefits. According to Pharmaceutical Biology, you can find close to 24 different antioxidants in maple syrup. This allows the body to recover from any possible free radical damage. With free radicals, inflammation within the body can increase in damaged tissues or cells. This makes you far more susceptible to chronic diseases.
Most of these natural sweeteners are good for your body. They can improve health and even prevent diseases. That said, even these sweeteners should be consumed in moderate quantities. After all, too much of even the best thing can be hazardous.