Most people have experienced back pains in their lives. Back pains can be sharp, dull or constant aches that affect daily mobility.
How is Back Pain Caused?
You might be wondering what causes back pain problems. The backbone or the spine is made of 33 column bones (vertebrae) that extend from the skull to the pelvis. These bones enclose and protect a cylinder of nerve tissues called spinal cord. There’s an intervertebral disk between each of these bones. The work of disk between these vertebrae acts as a shock absorber. When one of these disks is damaged, it presses on the nerves causing a sharp pain in the back.
According to a ‘Back pain Specialist in Singapore’, back pain affects to different people, some of the causes include:
- Weight gain
- Kidney stones
- Infections and
- Poor fitness
- Heart diseases
When faced with constant back pain, one needs to seek a Back pain Specialist in Singapore. Some symptoms to look out for:
- Aching – constant pain along the spine is an indication of back pain and if the pain worsens when carrying a heavy luggage or after straining his or her back.
- Localized pain – sharp pain at upper or lower back and upper neck can be another symptom of back pain and the pain usually worsens after lifting heavy materials or after strenuous workout.
- Problems with upright standing – the back is made in a way that it facilitates easy movement. When one gets it hard to stand upright, there’s a problem.
- Pain in the middle or lower back – this symptom is mostly experienced after one has spent most of the time sitting or standing.
Although the above symptoms signify that someone is suffering from back pain, the reality is still not known. As mentioned above, back pains can be a result of certain lifestyle diseases such as heart disease and kidney stones. Diagnosis of the illness is very important, thus seeking proper treatment with a Back Pain Specialist is crucial. Diagnostics such as blood tests, Magnetic Resonance Imaging (MRI), X-rays, Computed Tomography (CT) scan will be performed to assist in better treatment options.
Treatment may vary depending on the type of back pain a patient experienced. The following are some of the treatment types that can be used.
- Exercises: Exercises can ease chronic pain. For exercises to be effective, a patient needs to seek advice from a back specialist.
- Changing behaviors: Patients can learn to lift lighter weights, eat a balanced diet, stop smoking, exercise moderately and sleep well to lessen the pain.
- Injections: A Back pain Specialist Singapore can inject a patient with numbing shots or steroids to ease the pain.
- Surgery: Ever back pain case is different and not every case requires surgery. Surgeries are done to treat spinal stenosis, herniated disk, spondylolisthesis, degenerative disk disease and vertebral fractures.
Check with your nearest back pain specialist today and consult to get a better treatment for your spine.