Many of the students after school have the habit of sitting and watching TV continuously for hours, and while doing so; many of the mother may wonder there Childs hand just linger around their hair or eyelashes or eye brows. It is not like they don’t want them but they just could not stop plucking them. It is not so that this disorder is seen only in children, adults are also suffering from such kind of disorder. These people have leading problem and they suffer from disorder known as trichtotillomania (TTM). Individuals who experience this disorder have difficulties resisting the urge to pull out their hair.
TTM may further lead to hair loss and if it is not cured at right time it may further lead to baldness. Hair loss can develop into bald patches. Clinicspots is a premier online medical facilitator that provides high quality service and gives information regarding hair transplant doctors in Mumbai or you can consult a doctor online anytime for any medical emergency.
Many of hair pullers are not aware that they are continuously plucking up the hair. They may do that when they are free sitting idle, getting bored and they purposely do to release their stress. TTM is an acute illness, but those who are challenged by it can learn to manage it besides of the awareness. Whereas, they damage by acting it again and again even without stopping.
What are the four main component of habit reversal training?
- Self awareness training:- detail record should be kept about particular action when they pull their hair. They also keep relevant details that helps to recognize their behaviour.
- Self relaxation training:- they progressively practice muscle relaxation exercise
- Diaphragmatic breathing:- in their relaxation skill they add deep breathing
- Competing response training:- it practices muscle tensing action that competes with hair pulling behaviour. It involves arm muscles
What are the signs and symptoms of trichotillomania?
- Continuously pulling out the hair from scalp, from eyelashes or eye brows.
- Person suffering from tension cannot resist pulling
- They feel sense of relief or pleasure after pulling the hair
- Rubbing the pulled hair across your hair or lips
- Eating the pulled hair chewing or biting it
- Preference for specific types of hair, rituals that accompany hair pulling or patterns of hair pulling
- Most of them bite their nail, chew their lips
- Many times pulling hair from clothes, or blanket may also be one of the symptom.
- Most people with trichotillomania pull hair in private and generally try to hide the disorder from others.
What Causes Trichotillomania?
- The exact cause is still not know for TTM there may be abnormalities related to brain which links areas involved in emotional regulation, movement, habit formation, and impulse control.
- People suffering may also have depression or anxiety or it is more likely to run in your family.
How Is Trichotillomania Diagnosed?
· There is no specific test for TTM, it is basically diagnosed on its signs and symptoms
· A doctor might refer a person who has symptoms of trichotillomania to a psychiatrist or psychologist, who can interact with the person and see if they might have an impulse control disorder.
For people with TTM, hair pulling can be:
- Automatic:- many people pull their hair intentionally to relieve tension or stress for ex. Pulling hair just for sake of pleasure and relief. Many people may developed rituals for pulling up the hair such as biting it.
- Focused:– people even without knowing what they are doing with their hair, they damage them very badly.
The same person may do both focused and automatic hair pulling, depending on its situation and mood. Certain positions may trigger hair pulling, such as resting your head on your hand or brushing your hair.
TTM is a long-term (chronic) disorder without knowing its treatment, and symptoms. It may vary in severity over time. For example, the hormonal changes of menstruation can worsen symptoms in women. In some people, if it is not treated the symptoms may come and go for weeks, months or years. Most commonly hair pulling ends within few years.
What are the complications related to TTM?
- The possible complications of TTM is infection, damage in skin, permanent hair loss.
- Hair loss and skin damage are the most possible complications that can hinder self esteem and body image.
- In extreme cases, some people might avoid social situations in order to hide the hair loss.
- Hairballs- as discussed above eating hair may lead to large hair ball in your digestive tract. Moreover, it may cause peeking, weight loss, obstruction in intestine that may even lad to death.
- Emotional distress- many people suffering from TTM report shame, humiliation as well as embarrassment.
There is no proven way to prevent TTM, but to treat it as soon as possible.