Rajasthan is the most colorful and exotic place popularly known for its palaces, art, camels, forts, elephants, architecture and deserts. It covers an area of almost 3,42,239 sq kilometres out of which, most of the area is covered by the Great Indian Thar Desert.
- Jaipur: Jaipur, being the capital city of Rajasthan is popular by the name of ‘Pink City’. The royal attractions of Jaipur are Hawa Mahal-the palace of winds, Amber Fort, Laxmi Narayan Temple, Jaigarh Fort, Nahargarh Fort, Galta Monkey Temple, Albert Hall Museum and Jantar Mantar-astronomical wonderment. Jaipur is known for its forts and palaces, architectural wonder, food, rich culture, Johari Bazaar etc which make the city popular among the tourists.
- Udaipur: Udaipur is the most romantic place of Rajasthan and known by the name of ‘Venice of the East’ or ‘City of Lakes’. Aravalli Mountains, Fateh Sagar Lake, Kumbhalgarh Fort, Jaisamand Lake, Ranakpur Jain Temple, Jagdish Temple, Jag Mandir, Lake Palace, Saheliyon ki Bari etc are some of the marvelous places to visit in Udaipur which attract large number of tourists every year across the world.
- Jodhpur: Jodhpur is known as ‘Sun City’ due to its sunny weather for the whole year and is the second largest and the populated city of Rajasthan. Every year in the month of October, Rajasthan International Folk Festival is organized inside the Mehrangarh Fort which is also one of the largest forts in India. The other attractions of Jodhpur are Umaid Bhawan Palace, Veer Durgadas Smarak-a combination of park, museum and monument, Kaylana Lake and Garden, Jaswant Thada, Clock Tower etc.
- Jaisalmer: Jaisalmer is famous by the name of ‘The Golden City’ as the place stands on a yellowish sandstone and known for its camel safari on sand dunes, architecture, palaces, Havelis, rich culture, heritage and forts. Jaisalmer Fort, Bada Bagh, Patwon-Ki-Haveli and The Thar Heritage Museum.
- Bikaner: Bikaner is the prime tourist destination of Rajasthan famous for its food and forts. Karni Mata Temple and Laxmi Nath Temple are the main attractions of this place. Every year on January, a camel fair is held in Bikaner and other attractions are Junagarh Fort, Lalgarh Palace, Gajner Palace, Gajner Wildlife Sanctuary, Ganga Singh Museum etc.
Thus, Rajasthan is known as ‘The Land of Kings’.
Indian Heritage Destinations
India is known for its rich culture, heritage destinations, art, music, handicrafts, dance and architecture. Some of the popular Indian Heritage Destinations are:
- Agra Fort: Agra Fort is declared by UNESCO as world’s popular heritage destination situated at Agra. It was made of red stone and built by Akbar. Sheesh Mahal, The Diwan-i-Am, Diwan-i-Khas, The Anguri Bagh, Khas Mahal, Mina Masjid, Nagina Masjid, Musamman Burj are some of the attractions of this fort which everyone must visit.
- Khajuraho Temple: Khajuraho Temple is known for its rich cultural heritage as it issituated in the Chatarpur district of Madhya Pradesh. The Khajuraho dance festival is popular among the tourists which get organized every year from 25th Feb-2nd March. Panna National Park, Ranne Falls, Western, Southern and Northern group of temples are some of the main attractions.
- Ajanta and Ellora Caves: Ajanta and Ellora Caves is an ancient heritage destination situated at Maharashtra and known for its sculptures and paintings. Most of the paintings show the incidents taken from the life of Buddha and the Jatakas.
- Humayun’s Tomb: Humayun’s Tomb is based on Mughal architecture situated near the crossing of Lodhi Road and Mathura Road. The most notable features of this tomb are its water channels in the centre, garden squares also known as Charbagh, two double story gateways and Indian and Persian decorative items.
- Group of Monuments at Hampi: The original heritage destination of India gets explored by visiting Group of Monuments at Hampi, Karnataka. The monument is declared as the world’s popular heritage site in the year 1986. The unique attractions to visit these monuments are Hindu and Jain Temples, Hazara Ramachandra, The Vitthla Temple, stately pillars, Audience Hall of the King, The Krishna Temple etc.
Thus, wherever you travel in India, you will explore various heritage destinations famous for one or the other reason.